Alan Perrin, CUAVA Instructor, with a drone

Permission for Commercial Operations (PfCO) from the CAA. Even taking pictures of your neighbour’s house in return for a pint is considered commercial work.

2) What do I need to fly my drone commercially?
To operate a UAV commercially, you must have permission from the CAA – the CAA controls all airspace use in the UK. UAV pilots need to apply for their Permission for Commercial Operations or PfCO. To get a PfCO you must prove that you have the competency to safely operate your aircraft.

3) How do I prove my Competency?< The CAA has appointed several organisations or National Qualified Entities (NQE) who are able to prove your competency with your drone. Cambridge UAV Academy is a CAA approved NQE.

As part of your training, we will teach you the laws regarding the use of drones in the UK and then test you to make sure you understand and can operate your UAV safely.

4) Will my British Model Flying Association (BMFA) insurance or 3rd Party liability insurance be sufficient to fly commercially?
Commercial operation of UAV’s is not normally covered under 3rd Party liability insurance and is definitely not covered by the BMFA insurance.

Specific UAV insurance will be required as you are operating your drone as part of your business.

5) Are there any limits on where you can fly?
There are certain restricted aviation areas where you can’t fly, but they are few and far between. Most places can be flown in but you may have to do some extra paperwork.

Urban and congested areas such as towns and cities may require an extra license called an Operational Safety Certificate.

To find out more about what you need to fly your drone legally, contact us today.

Comments are closed.